27 April 2011
Agricultural Economics Act.B.E. 2522
BHUMIBOL ADULYADEJ, REX.
Given on the 25 th Day of February, B.E. 2522
Being the 34 th Year of the Present Reign
His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej is graciously pleased to proclaim that:
Whereas it is expedient to have a law on agricultural economics:
THEREFORE, be it enacted by the King, by and with the advice and consent of the National Legislative Assembly acting as the National Assembly, as Follows:
Section 1. This Act is called the "Agricultural Economics Act of B.E. 2522"
Section 2. This Act shall come into force as from the date of its publication in the Government Gazette.
Section 3. In this Act,
"Agricultural Economics" means classification description and priority establishment of economic problems in the part concerning agriculture and action to solve such problems;
"Agriculture Development" means intensification of efforts in and increase of agricultural production, improvement of investment, production and marketing conditions as well as prices of farm products, farm income, nutrition and other welfare activities of farmers including the related operations hereto ;
"Agricultural Economic Area" means area of agricultural production inclusive of livestock production and tree farming promoted in accord with the national marketing and agricultural economic statuses, taking into account the similarity of major factors, e.g., climate, water sources, crops and livestock to be raised, types of farming, principal sources of farm income;
"Agriculture Policy" means direction for agriculture development with definite objective, target and period of operation;
"Committee" means the committee on Agriculture and Cooperative Development Policy and Planning;
"Minister" means the Minister who have charge and control of the execution of the Act.
Section 4. There shall be a committee called the "Committee on Agriculture and Cooperative Development Policy and Planning" composed of the Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives as Chairman, Under Secretary of Agriculture and Cooperatives as Vice Chairman and Under Secretary of Commerce, Under Secretary of Industry, Secretary - General of the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Committee, Director of the Bureau of the Budget, Secretary - General of the Office of National Statistics, one deputy under secretary of agriculture and cooperatives, Director General of Departments in the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives and Secretary - General of the Office of Land Reform for Agriculture as committee members and not more than eight other members appointed by the Cabinet where of four from qualified persons and four from representatives of farmer groups and agricultural cooperatives
The Secretary - General, Office of Agricultural Economics, shall serve as member and secretary.
Section 5. The Committee shall have the power and duty:
- to consider formulating agriculture policy and agriculture and cooperative development plans in agreement with the national economic and social development plan, to consider designating the agricultural economics areas,
- to follow up and accelerate implementation of the agriculture and cooperative development plans of work units under the direction of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives,
- to consider attacking problems and obstacles including constraints that hinder implementation of the agriculture policy and agriculture development plans,
- to propose recommendations and opinions to the Cabinet of agriculture and cooperative development planning policy and measure,
- to consider and offer opinions to the Cabinet in regard to improvement and relief of the national agricultural economics situations, and
- to consider and matter concerning agriculture of cooperative as assigned by the Cabinet.
In performing the above - stated duties the Committee may authorize the Office of Agricultural Economics to take action or prepare proposals for submittal to the Committee for consideration to act further.
Section 6. Term of office of members of the Committee appointed by the Cabinet shall be three years. The terminated members may be reelected
Section 7. In addition to termination upon expiration of term of office per Section 6 the member appointed by the Cabinet shall be terminated from office upon :
- Being a bankrupt,
- Being the person incapable or as if incapable of managing his own affairs,
- Being a convict by the final decision of the court or a legal order to imprisonment expect for the case of crime being committed with carelessness or minor offense, or
- Being terminated by the Cabinet.
In case the office of a member shall become vacant before expiration of his term of office, the vacancy may be filled by a new member appointed by the Cabinet, and such successor member shall hold office for the remainder of the term of office of his predecessor.
If the Cabinet shall appoint an additional member while the members already appointed still hold office, the new member shall hold office for the remainder of the term of office of such already - appointed members.
Section 8. At the Committee meeting if the Chairman of the Committee is absent or is not at the meeting, the Vice Chairman shall preside over the meeting. In case the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Committee are absent or are not at the meeting, the committee members present elect one member to preside over the meeting.
No less than half the total number of committee members present shall constitute a quorum.
The meeting decision shall be pursuant to majority of the votes. If the votes casted are equal, the Chairman of the meeting shall cast one decisive vote.
Section 9. The office of Agricultural Economics shall be established to perform the following duties;
- analyze the agriculture policy and agriculture and cooperative development plans for submission to the Committee ;
- study and analyze agricultural production planning and sources of cultivation and livestock production according to climatic conditions, types of farming, major income of farmers and internal market demands and report to the Committee for consideration to designate the agricultural economics areas ;
- study and analyze the formulation of marketing and transport system and development of farm products markets in an efficient manner as well as analyze the prices of and demand for farm products
- study and analyze sources of agricultural resources, analyze utilization of resources as well as study and analyze production economics and formulate crop cultivation and livestock production systems in an efficient manner ;
- compile statistical information of all kinds crop and livestock production, agricultural production situations, farm income and expenses, farmers indebtedness conditions, market situations of farm products and other agricultural economics information necessary of analysis of agriculture policy and agriculture and cooperative plans and publication of statistics papers concerning agricultural economics for distribution and publicity of agricultural statistics information ;
- analyze and evaluate outcome of investment made in agricultural projects including follow-up and evaluation of success and progress of the projects and operating plans of work units under the direction of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives as well as propose to the Committee recommendations on guidelines for boiling down the problems and obstacles which require urgent action ;
analyze other sector of economic development including international agricultural economics conditions required for formulation of agriculture and cooperative development plans ;
- Develop register in regard to agricultural enterprises, by categories, types of groups of each sector ;
- coordinate work with the various, related government agencies and state enterprises in establishing agriculture policy and agriculture and cooperative development plans, as well as maintain contact with the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Committee ; and
- perform any other action specified by law as function of the committee or of the Office of Agricultural Economics.